Instagram

Saturday, May 5, 2018

A Texas Treat - Bill Crider's Sheriff Dan Rhodes Series, as Narrated by George Guidall

Murder in Four Parts: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Unabridged) - AudiobookRed, White and Blue Murder: A Dan Rhodes Mystery, Book 13 (Unabridged) - AudiobookMurder Among the OWLS - Audiobook

I’ve been a huge fan of George Guidall from the very first audio-books I listened to that he narrated. I became kind of a groupie, searching our collection for all the audio-books narrated by him that I could find. I went through most of the political thrillers (Daniel Silva), the Craig Johnson’s Longmire series, and am currently listening to the late Bill Crider’s Dan Rhodes series set in a fictional town in Texas.  I have about a 30 minute daily commute, so I can listen to an hour of Mr. Guidall’s excellent interpretation of various character voices, and it makes the drive a dream! (Here’s a link to a NYT article that tells why George Guidall is “the undisputed king of audiobooks": https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/17/books/george-guidall-audiobooks.html)

In Bill Crider’s Dan Rhodes mystery series, set in Blackland County, Texas, there’s always something a-foot, and Sheriff Rhodes has his hands full, not only with handling the various crimes committed in his territory, but dealing with his contrary staff  (Hack! Lawton!) and other odd-ball members of his community.  I’ve found that you don’t have to read the books in order, as the late author did a great job of gently revisiting the basic setup of the characters, and you can step right in anywhere you like.

We only own about 5 of these audio-books (the series started in 1980’s), so now I’m on the hunt through Interlibrary Loan to track down some more!

Happy Reading (and Listening)!

No comments:

Post a Comment