Instagram

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Bilxoi by Mary Miller


Biloxi: A Novel by [Miller, Mary]
Miller, Mary. Biloxi. 2019. New York, NY: Liveright Publishing, an imprint of W.W. Norton & Company. ISBN  978-1631492167 $24.95 USD

A book about a curmudgeonly gentleman and a quirky dog? How could I NOT want to read this one? And I'm thankful to the library marketing department at W.W. Norton for sending me a print galley, which I devoured.

When a divorced sexagenarian turns his car in a different direction to avoid seeing his ex-wife one day and finds himself deciding to adopt an overweight female dog with soulful eyes and a gagging problem, his life will never be the same. We join Louis as he begins to look at himself and his world in new ways, with his rescue dog Layla along for the ride (and the bologna).

I found myself pausing many times over passages in this book, even highlighting quite a few, as they offered wisdom and insight I wasn't expecting from a tale such as this. I will look forward to recommending this one, as it deals with issues of aging, loss, family conflict, and, of course, what animals can add to our lives.

Below is a Tweet I posted as I was reading Biloxi, along with a video of my well-read and well-loved galley.


Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment