Instagram

Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Perfect Stranger ~ Megan Miranda




Miranda, Megan. 2017. The Perfect Stranger. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster. ISBN: 978-1501107993. $25.00 USD.

I was so impressed with Megan Miranda's adult fiction debut, All the Missing Girls, that I nominated it for the Texas Library Association Lariat Adult Fiction Reading List.  We were thrilled that Ms. Miranda was able to speak at our Author Luncheon in San Antonio in April.

With her second adult fiction title, The Perfect Stranger, there is definitely no "sophomore slump." As a matter of fact, I may even like this one better than the first!  As I was reading it, I felt like Gretel from the fairy tale following a trail of clues: except those clues led me into the dark forest of the unknown rather than into a safe harbor.

It is amazing how the author structures her story and drops bombshells in the narrative which take the reader into unexpected territory.  You have a somewhat unreliable narrator, but one you are rooting for; a series of crimes that you can't quite figure out; and forays into the past that shock you as they reveal truly unexpected plot twists.  The resolution is satisfying and consistent with the themes explored in story.  The Perfect Stranger is....well, perfect - and one of my favorites from last Spring. As someone who reads a LOT of books, I am truly excited to be able to recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment